Pages

Saturday 16 August 2014

Argan oil: hair & body edition

Hello there my lovelies!

I am back with a sort of chatty post about my apparent argan oil obssession.... It all started with a trip to the hair salon (Passion Hair in St. John's Wood - highly recommend!) where I had a 'Moroccan oil' treatment. Having never used argan before, I immediately fell in love with its sweet light scent and of course, the immediate results that I felt and saw.


Argan Oil is renowned for its moisturising, repairing and smoothing properties, facilitated by a naturally high content of anti-oxidants, fatty acids and vitamin E. There has been a bit of a craze in the last couple of years, and it can be found in almost every isle in the pharmacy.


Treatments


Sim Sensitive Argan Care Moisture Smoothie Intensive Hydrating Mask

This was the closest I could get to the cult Moroccanoil Intense Hydrating Mask without setting my purse back £25. I found it in TKMaxx for £7 and it contained 50ml more product  than the Moraccanoil, win-win! Sim is a Finnish professional hair company - if you ever come across any of their products, I highly recommend you trying them out.

It is lightly scented and of a thick cream texture. I use it in the shower after shampooing and squeezing as much as water from my hair, spreading a dollop of it from just above the roots to the tips. Usually I just comb it through with my fingers and tie it in a knot for around 5-10mins whilst washing the rest of my body!

I find this hair mask extremely moisturising and my locks always feel extra sleek and untangled after each use. In fact, I love it so much I've stopped using conditioner altogether as I found this doesn't make all my hair fall out, and instead use the argan mask twice a week. 

Hair Xpertise Argan Oil Hair Treatment (with Vitamin E)

I believe this was one first argan oil products out in the pharmacy, and retailing at a mid-range £9.99, it was a pretty good investment for 100ml. 

The product itself is of a serum consistency, which is perfect for the pump provided. It smells fairly strong of sweet cucumbers, which I personally have no objection to, and it lingers on the hair for a couple of hours. I use 2 pumps and spread it evenly from mid-lengths of my hair to the tips, and another pump concentrated at the roots.

Performance-wise I would rate it a 4*. It definitely decreases drying time, and improves cuticle smoothness and therefore manageability. The only drawback is that it doesn't leave my hair as soft or shiny as I would ideally like - instead it almost mattifies the surface, which does make it look and work like 'second day' hair. This might be very different if you don't have stubborn coarse oriental hair though! 


Cleansing

SPAtopia Argan Oil Body Wash

I picked this up in my local Sainsbury's (this line is usually 1/3 off) and was apprehensive at first due to the relatively low price compared to other argan products on the market. I was pleasant surprised at the relatively mild scent (which is quite rare for a 'spa' brand!), and the nourishing effect it had on my skin.

It has a lotion-gel consistency and lathers up fairly well (I am in a soft water area), although I have found myself re-applying quite often to cover all of my body. The scent doesn't seem to linger for long post-shower, and leaves my skin feeling very clean and fresh. The only qualm I have is that it doesn't soften as much as the Argan Magic Body Wash (see below!) does.

All in all, I would recommend this shower wash if you're looking for something a little more luxe in the supermarket, for a very reasonable price tag!

Argan Magic Cleansing Body Wash

Yet another gem I spotted in TK Maxx, this is a jumbo (almost 1L!) sized shower gel from the American boutique brand Argan Magic (which also sports a range of haircare and skincare products). It has to be one of the best body washes I have ever tried.

The thick, clear gel has a pleasant fresh scent and foams into a considerable lather. It is extremely effective at completely cleansing the skin without a hint of stripping, and leaves it soft and nourished. I find it also soothing and gentle enough for shaving in the shower!

If you get a chance I would highly recommend trying this out. I believe you can purchase this online in the US for $20.

I simply couldn't resist getting my hands on this when I went shopping for a new shampoo recently. I have never been a huge TRESemme follower, and am afraid to say this has not entirely converted me either.

It is a relatively good shampoo for use once or twice a week, as it is very clarifying and does leave my hair fairly shiny and healthy-looking. My main concern is that it does not remove any scalp flakiness and definitely does not give a 'salon silk' finish. 

Before I rule this out however, I think I should pair it with its conditioner. It is important to use it as intended, of course! Until then I shall just keep using the Sim moisture mask, which seems to eliminate all my hair issues!



----------------------------

I hope this has wet your appetite to try out some new argan oil products, or even trying one for the first time. Let me know which ones you love! Am always watching out for your recommendations! Also would you be interested in a face/skincare edition in the near future? :D

Lots of love as always,

No comments:

Post a Comment