Pages

Monday 8 June 2015

Review & Day-to-Night Makeup Look: Sonia Kashuk Eye on Neutral 02

Welcome back everyone!

I'm here with a different type of review post today, and am (somewhat) terrified about showing my makeup skills on here but hopefully you can see how versatile this palette is. The Sonia Kashuk Eye on Neutral 02  is one of the main items I wanted to get from my recent US haul - it is an all-matte palette, and as the name suggests, comprising of 12 neutral, brown-based powders.




First glance
 A sturdy black rectangular palette with a clear top, the packaging is simple, sleek and fits nicely into my makeup bag. The pans are of a good size and the colours are placed gradiented from light (top two rows) to dark (bottom rows). Colour-wise, some of the light and mid-tone shadows do look quite similar in the pan but as you can see in the swatches they do vary sufficiently to be used for different purposes.


Application & performance
For matte finish shadows the formula is pretty spot-on, there are no real duds in the palette but the standout has to the black shade. My most-used shades are 4 and 5 for warm and cool eyeshadow transition colours respectively. I also like to use 6 for precise contouring around the face.

The powders are pigmented and blend suprisingly well for that - the only downside is that there is quite a bit of powder 'kick-up' and quite a lot comes off when you tap off the excess on your brush. They have generally very good lasting power on the lids, the darker shades tend to stay more visible after 6-7h but then again I have super oily (and medium-toned) lids so do bear that in mind! I do suggest using a primer of your choice, or a cream base to maximise wear.

 
Day look
Perfect for the office, school/college or a relaxed day out with friends, this look was super simple using only the colour 3 all over the lip up to the brow bone, 4 and 5 in the crease and a little swept under my lower lashline. 


Other products used:
Tarte Amazonian Clay 12h Foundation in Light Neutral
Vichy Dermablend Foundation (as concealer) in 25 and 35
Jelly Pong Pong Caribbean Sun Bronzer Duo  
Urban Decay Canonball Mascara 
Blistex lip balm

Night look
This was layered straight on the day time look, so if you take this palette with you it's all you need to transform your makeup for a more evening-friendly face. First of all, I applied a bit of 7 in the outer 'V' and 5 to blend out the edges, 9 on my eyebrows (yes, I know I should have put on brow gel D:). Then to deepen up my eyes further I used 9 and 12, the darkest two colours, instead of using liquid eyeliner for a slightly more smokey cat-eye on an angled liner brush. To finish off, some extra coats of mascara on the top and bottom lashes, and shade 6 to contour my face using a small tapered brush.
 


As you can see, I didn't go too crazy with the 'night time' look - you can definitely layer even more product and use gel liner for a much more intense look!
Other products used:
Rimmel Provocalips in 700 Skinny Dipping 

-------------------------------------- 



So let me know what you think of this super versatile little palette, have you got any other recommendations? Also hope this wasn't too embarrassing with regards to the makeup application and do excuse the crazy first day hair... But as always, don't forget to keep up with my daily doses of beauty and fashion over on Instagram (@yangloves) and Twitter (@yangloves_)!


Lots of love and until next time,


Yang xo


No comments:

Post a Comment